Challenge Participant

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Unbreakable by Kami Garcia

Unbreakable (The Legion, #1)



Kami Garcia has been riding the train of awesome now that Beautiful Creatures is a major motion picture.  So needless to say, I was highly anticipating her individual project, Unbreakable (The Legion #1).  I won’t say I was blown away, but I will say that I felt the same safe familiarity of Beautiful Creatures.  What I mean to say is that it was a decadent tale of mythology and legacies. 

One night Kennedy’s cat runs out of the house, leading Kennedy on a chase into a small Jesuit cemetery.  At the cemetery Kennedy sees a woman, floating.  Nothing seems out of the ordinary after that, except her cat is acting weird.  Then one night Kennedy gets home to her mother dead.  And then her cat attacks her, trying to steal her breath.  When it almost seems like our heroine is about to be killed off, the Lockhart twins come galloping to the rescue.  Jared and Lukas confirm that there is a dark world out there, and it is controlling their lives.  They confirm this by letting Kennedy know that her mother was a descendant of a secret society in charge of keeping the world safe from a vengeful demon.  She, along with 4 others, protects and guards the world from the dark spirit world threatening to escape into reality.  Those 5 members have been killed; all that is left are their children (those who have been selected to up hold a spot in the Legion).  Kennedy must take her mother’s place and help the new Legion members combat an evil that should have never been stirred. 

I really like the characters, especially Priest (I mean he’s a genius with an awesome music taste.)  The twins are also a good ying-yang team, with clear dysfunction in the family.  Yes, there is the inevitable love triangle, but it’s so minimal I don’t hate it.  The end left me thinking, I have no clue what will happen in the next installment because the characters are left with unanswered questions and Kennedy is more or less right back where she started after her mother initially dies.  What I do know is that I will be eagerly awaiting the next part of this fantastically dark urban series.

 

 
Thank You Edelweiss

No comments:

Post a Comment