Challenge Participant

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine


The Promise of Amazing
 
The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine had the promise to be something amazing… but it fell short for me.  About 40% in a realized that this was sensationalized fiction; the situations that the characters found themselves in were too ridiculous to be truthful, almost a 1 in a million story.  There are two main characters, Wren and Grayson.  Wren is on the verge of losing it, since she is “too quiet” and will possibly never get into a college like Harvard.  Her issues are realistic for kids her age during senior year.  Grayson on the other hand has done some bad things, the one I will spill in the review is the fact that he was part of a term paper scheme and was thrown out of his high school; however, Grayson has other issues and dirtier secrets.  One pig in a blank is what unites these two, as Grayson almost chokes to death on one and Wren saves him, since she is the waitress at her family owned restaurant. 

I don’t know how to fully explain my disappointment in the characters.  Not only where the situations ridiculous but the characters’ reactions were beyond ridiculous.  At some point I had to stop, because I was laughing too hard and just couldn’t deal with the issues unfolding in the book.  I do have to say that I laughed and had fun, because it was so short I couldn’t hate it too much.  I appreciate the author putting herself out there in her first novel, but my advice would be to try to reign in the ridiculous and make it more believable.  For instance, Wren’s way of dealing with the situations presented to her during the book made her look like a weak character as oppose to a character that grew (which is what I felt the author was going for.) 

2 out of 5 stars.  Thank you Edelweiss and the Publisher for an ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment