Challenge Participant

Friday, July 27, 2012

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Enchanted  Today's subject: Enchanted by Kontis.  I just wanted to say that I gave this book 3/5 stars, not because it was awful or not good enough, but because it just happens to be a retelling of many retellings, and also I do not think she wrote this to be ground breaking so 3/5 means "I liked it."

Enchanted is the story of Sunday, the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter... funny I have heard of that before, wasn't it sons though? :)  Anyway, Sunday likes writing stories, but she can only write about the past, or else things happen... bad things.  So Sunday writes stories and hangs out in the woods because her father is a wood cutter (her last name is Woodcutter).  Alright, so she meets a frog, that talks! (See where this story is going?)  She tells this frog stories and becomes his friend.  There are also tie ins with fairies (they have fairy godmothers), her house is shaped like a shoe, her brother who her father found one day before she was born trades a cow for beans, she loses a shoe at a ball and at some point the castle falls asleep for a couple of hours.  Again, I ask, do you see where this is going? 

Well if you do, that is the major reason I found this book enjoyable.  There were so many different stories intrictly woven to create the story of Sunday and her seven sisters and three brothers.  Pretty fab if you ask me.  I like fairytale retellings and this by far can be considered a fairy tale retelling but more on the lines of Once Upon a Time television series, where every tale comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment