Challenge Participant

Saturday, October 13, 2012

I Hunt Killers By Barry Lyga

I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1)



Okay, where to begin?  Well I would like to first start out by saying that when I was around 16 or so I discovered a particular website that peeked my deep dark interest of murder (www.crimelibrary.com).  I would like to state for the record, that everyone is interested in death, because (hello!?!?!) we are all going to die.  I am not so much interested in death, but in what motivates human beings to bring about death, in an untimely and unnatural manner.  One last point I would like to state is that out of all the stories in the Bible the most I think about and quote (loosely of course) is the story of Cain and Abel, the first murder. 
Anyway, after stumbling upon the website, I devoured as many stories as possible about notorious murders and serial killers.  On occasion I look at the stupid crimes, because they are hilarious in a non-I-am-demented kinda way. I was completely addicted to finding the quirks in the the stories of each murderer and loved reading the mistakes that led to their downfall.  Billy Dent is right, when a killer gets caught it's on purpose.  Too many simple things lead to the arrest of notorious and albeit veteran killers.  <u>I Hunt Killers</u> does for me what www.crimelibrary.com did for me so many years ago. 
I don't shy way from gruesome things, nor do I sit around and act completely crazy; I just like puzzles and interesting things that deal with the human condition,which isn't always pretty.  Jazz, is like my guilty pleasure sharing bff.  He knows everything anyone needs to ever know about the hunt, the techniques, the urges because his father coached him.  He also has to deal with asking himself if it is healthy to be overloaded with curiosity and knowledge on serial killers, much like I felt when I was younger. "Is this creepy that I spend my time reading about murders?" I've even been accused (I use this term very loosely)watching too many shows on murderers, because I am planning to be one (totally not true.) 
I like the way Lyga took the idea of this young person, growing up with a serial killer for a father and basically made it a natural evolution of Jazz's overall character, in the most unnatural way.  I say unnatural because most people are inclined to believe that raised in a similar situation a "normal" child would be broken in character or even try to emulate their parent.  Lyga was like "Nope, Jazz is going to have issues, but he's not stupid and he's going to be a survivor. Will he survive himself? I don't know but shoot I am going to make this an interesting ride!" That's one of the main reasons why I like Jazz.  He's smart and inclined to think like a killer, he has to deal with his "dark passenger" and he really wants to save people because of what he wasn't capable to do for his father's victims.  He's effed up for sure and that is very relate able. 
IF you like Dexter, think of this as a young Dexter growing up with a serial killer for a dad, instead of a nice cop (albeit one who cheats on his wife).  This young Dexter still does not have a clear calling, except that he knows he has a dark passenger and that he will do anything to keep it from taking control!

No comments:

Post a Comment