Challenge Participant

Monday, March 9, 2015

Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver


Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
Pub: 3/10/2015
Pgs: 368
ARC Received by Edelweiss
Vanishing Girls

Vanishing Girls is the sort of story that compels you to read it all in one sitting.  There are too many loose strands hanging about, and when you think you are reading a realistic YA book about sisters and the cost of growing up -bam- you're hit with the reality that this book is not what it seems. 

Nick and Dara are close siblings that couldn't more different if they tried.  Nick is the responsible, reliable, and studious daughter; while Dara is the social butterfly, pushes buttons, and gets into too much trouble.  Both deal with jealousy of each other in their own ways, but tend to be unified by their love of each other.  That is, until their best friend and neighbor Parker begins dating one of them.  After a terrible fight, and a terrible accident both sisters stop relying each other, and recover in separate homes. 

I really enjoyed the twist, because like I mentioned I thought this would be a conventional story about two sisters.  What ended up happening what that I was wrapped up in this psychological thriller, by the end.  I liked it, but I didn't love it.  It needed more.  After I accepted the twist, I thought about what I had read in the beginning and it didn't gel.  There were things that could not be right if you accepted the twist, i.e. text messages.  I just wish it was a bit cleaner in the twist.
3 out of 5 stars.  Thanks Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment