Challenge Participant

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Slammed by Colleen Hoover


Slammed by Colleen Hoover   Slammed is a unique concept but lacking in some departments that it makes the novel a guilty pleasure.  I think there was not enough depth in some the situations that occurred; however, after reading books that just have broken my heart i.e. The Storyteller (no… I’m not letting it go… I’m still pretty traumatized… le sigh), I needed a story that ended in a perfectly wrapped present.  I also found it intriguing that in most YA novels I fall for the 2nd option because everyone else falls straight for the 1st awesome guy the MC likes, and I will just plainly say they make me too wary to fall for them.  That was not the case for Will, even Layken was trying to find ways to diminish how awesome and loving he really is.  But I have gotten ahead of myself…
Slammed is about a young girl (18) whose father has recently passed.  Layken is no longer a resident of Texas.  After her father’s passing it is up to her mother to pay the bills.  Unfortunately her mother cannot support her 2 children and pay the bills, this leads to the family moving to Michigan.  As soon as they arrive to their new destination Layken meets Will.  And, literally, all of a sudden she’s falling for him!  And, really so did I!  What I love about this insta-love is that you don’t fall in love with Will because he’s a vampire or some other superhuman, but because he is broken and broken similarly like Layken. 
Will introduces Layken to the world of Slam, an emotional soul baring poetry performance at the local club… yes Will is that perfect that not only is he hot, strong, and smart but he writes poetry because why not make every guy the reader will meet 2nd best? ;)  I wish I can divulge some more on this story because everything in it kept me somewhat on my toes; however, I don’t want to ruin it.  All you need to know is that this book is about: life, death, love, trust, obligations, responsibilities, ethics, friendship and family. 
I really loved Layken’s poem “Mean.”  Ladies if the guy you love has ever hurt you or just frustrated you to the point of heartbreak…  “Mean” can be very cathartic! I give this book a 4, not because it’s compatible with the likes of Tolstoy, Faulkner or Hemmingway, but simply because the story was just instant gratification… there’s tears and heartbreak but it’s still wrapped in a pretty bow.  Sometimes we need the pretty bow!


***NOTE: Copy of this book is provided by publisher via NetGalley. Thank you.
I'm not paid for writing reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment