Challenge Participant

Friday, November 29, 2013

Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

Ketchup Clouds
Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher was a thought provoking book.  Zoe, our main character, has started to write to an inmate in America named S. Harris.  Her first letter is an introduction, but also a comparison of their situations.  She relates with Harris, for his crime of murder.  “I know what it’s like.  Mine wasn’t a woman.  Mine was a boy.  And I killed him three months ago exactly.  Do you want to know the worst thing?  I got away with it.  No one’s found out that I’m responsible.  No one has a clue and I’m walking around saying all the right things and doing all the right stuff, but inside I’m sort of screaming.”—Yeah, that’s right, this is a murder mystery.  When I first picked up this book I thought it was a coming of age story, where the main character grows through letters written to a prison because of a class assignment; when in reality this story is about a young girl who made some small mistakes, fell in love with the wrong boy and ended up living with the biggest secret. 

Ketchup Clouds is the aftermath of Zoe’s life.  Going from past to present, Zoe gives the reader a glimpse of what she experienced: drunken school parties, a popular boy crush, kissing, mistaken identities, popular boy’s hot older brother, and one act of betrayal to become the catalyst of it all. Pitcher made this story irresistible and heart wrenching by tearing each layer away until the shocking ending.  Even though this is a love triangle it is still difficult to figure out who dies, and when it’s revealed I think I was more devastated, than if it had been the other one.  This sure is not a “Happily Ever After” kind of a tale but it is one to keep you strung along until the very end.

4 out of 5 stars.  Thank You Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment