Challenge Participant

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Half Bad by Sally Green

Half Bad (Half Life, #1)

“I do have a secret, though.  A secret so dark, so hopeless, so absurd that I can never share it with anyone.  It is a secret story that I tell myself when I’m in bed at night.  My father is not evil at all; he is powerful and strong.  And he cares about me… he loves me… And I lie in bed and imagine that one night he will come for me and we will fly away through the night together.”

Imagine a world where everyone is a witch.  They are either a black or white, bad or good.  Now imagine a dangerous life where you are segregated based on the color of your witchcraft, of your family’s witchcraft.  If your white, then you make the rules, after all you’re the good kind of witch.  It doesn’t matter if you kill witches, torture them, and create laws that affect children of mixed witchcraft, because you are doing it for the good of everyone, for the good of the world!

That is the life that our main character, Nathan lives in.  He is the son of one of the most dangerous and loathsome black witch of them all; however, he is also the son of a white witch.  Marcus, his father, is known for killing witches and stealing their gifts but when he killed Nathan’s Mother’s husband it wasn’t to steal the man’s power… it was to away his wife.  Years later, now that Marcus is on the run and Nathan’s mother is dead, Nathan must deal with the fall out of his parents’ tryst. 

This is such a captivating story of racism, hidden in the depths of magic, but still racism.  A story of segregation, and the misguided illusion of social justice.  I cannot wait to pick up the next book to find out how Nathan will get under the white witches’ skins and save the day and the girl.


Thank You Edelweiss!  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment