Challenge Participant

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Dancing with Molly by Lena Horowitz


Dancing with Molly
Dancing with Molly by Lena Horowitz
Pub:06/02/2015
Pgs: 272
ARC received from Edelweiss

Dancing with Molly is an unfortunate story about a girl who falls down the rabbit hole of drugs, specifically Ecstasy and Molly.  I can't say this impacted me as much as Go Ask Alice, probably due to my age now versus when I read GAADWM is a girl's diary that she starts when she first experiences doing Ecstasy.  Becca is a self-proclaimed band geek, and her younger sister always steals the spot light, so when the spot light turns to Becca she realizes that Molly might help her become the girl everyone likes. Even thought I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next, it didn't feel very authentic.  Everyone had absent parents, hot tubs, and these kids were like hard core... and no one seemed to notice until bad things began to happen.  Even when the bad things begin, the parents immediately assume they can handle the issue, only to have their kids' friends lie and get around groundings.  I mean, in all honesty, if I was 17 and doing Molly, and kissed my teacher at a school function while I was high, my mother would have killed me on the spot... not even being overdramatic.  She would have sent me away at the very least; however, I realize that there are absentee parents out there, and their kids have the opportunity to experience things like sex, drugs, alcohol, and other craziness.  Overall, the message was there and it wasn't boring.
3 out of 5 stars.
Thanks Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment