Challenge Participant

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Stars Never Rise by Rachel Vincent

The Stars Never Rise (Untitled Series, #1)
The Stars Never Rise by Rachel Vincent
Pub: 6/9/2015
Pg: 368
ARC received by Edelweiss


What I Liked:
I liked the setting.  The idea of recycling souls, and inheriting souls because there is a shortage of souls in the universe is intriguing... and slightly crazy.  So when you are introduced to the way of life in Nina's town you can accept the crazy.  Nina and her sister were also a great plus, since they are both so different and ultimately both have issues or characteristics that would mar them in front of their community.  They both make mistakes but are not impossibly unlikeable... they are very human.
I was intrigued with Finn and his group of friends.  Finn and his friends are rebels who are putting down demons left and right, and they know a couple of secrets that church leaders would like to keep away from the public... and Nina is part of this secret. 
The "mother" of Nina and Mellie was interesting.  And once Finn's group explained further I could see where the book was sort of going... it wasn't until almost the end that I realized along with the rest of the characters what was happening in the town.  I loved the deception and conspiracy of the church in this story. 

What I Didn't Like:
Finn.  I like Finn as a person... you can't even say that, but it's true.  I like him, I don't hate him at all.  What I find troubling is that Nina is now in the most convoluted love square/relationship I have ever encountered in YA... and that is saying something.  I don't want to give much away about Finn, but let me say it is so confusing to have a character like this and then make him part of a romance.  It will be interesting to see how this all will end with Finn.
3 out of 5 stars.  Thanks Edelweiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment